Hello to all of you equally.

Its my first post here, so straight to the point. I have been lurking here for a while to find more user reviews and opinions about this great looking machine. Reason why im still waiting before buying one (money of course) is that i would like to see or hear how have you succeeded to make non symmetrical tubes, like slightly bent tubes (bicycle frame tubes for example) or conical tubes, or any else form. Is it possible with this machine ?

Another thing i have been thinking is the material for mandrels, for straight tubes is easy, plastic or metal pipes i assume. But for more complicated forms, for example if i shape a tube from some rigid foam, would that work ?

I have quite a bit experience with carbon fiber, and the tube making has been the most difficult part to succeed well, this machine would be great help if it can do more complex shapes.

I do not have any experience on g-code.

Regards

Jarkko 

You need to be a member of X-Winder to add comments!

Join X-Winder

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have successfully wound a nosecone which had a Haack series (von karman) shape - mathematically derived, completely non-symmetrical. Since I only have a 2 axis winder the primary issue I had is I can't wind around a point so I had to leave the tip off.I just force-fit an aluminum tip at the end. 

• how did you coded the machine???

• Hello Jarkko, I do not yet have an X-Winder, but have been intrigued by it since the initial Kickstarter listing. I believe that it would be possible to add a 80/20 rail & stepper motor at each end of the main axis of rotation and perpendicular to that axis. This would, of course, require a much larger supporting framework.

A curved mandrel (thin wall PVC pipe?) is fitted between "Centers" mounted on these new, perpendicular axes. As the Filament head transverses the original Main axis, the new Centers are moved along their 80/20 tracks to cause the section currently being wrapped to rotate about the original Main axis.

While this would be a bit of work to initially fabricate ( larger torque stepper motors on the main axis??), once set up, curved tubes or weird shaped bends could be wound. Sorry I cannot provide a sketch at this time.

Also, the G-Code would be a bugger until someone worked out the trick!

PS If anyone builds & patents this, send me a Royalty check every now & then! LOL!

This reply was deleted.