Filament Skipping

Hi everyone this is my first time posting here. I am noticing an issue with the start of the second pass of a helical wind. On the second pass it tends to space out a good distance from the first pass going from right to left. On the return from left to right everything starts falling into place from there on.

Is there a reason why it does this and is there a way to fix it?

Your help is most appreciated.

You need to be a member of X-Winder to add comments!

Join X-Winder

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I wound another tube today with the suggested 20RPM mandrel speed and although I got a better finish, there are still some minor gaps visible. It appears it still needs to wind even slower just to get a no gap finish. 

Hopefully Turner Hunt will fix this soon.

• I forgot to post a picture of the tube

701172075?profile=RESIZE_930x

• I am having the same issue. Were you able to resolve it? I am using the latest software., V4.20319173250?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Hi Ben,

I have yet to fix this issue. At this point I am convinced its a source code issue. The X-Winder is not executing the G-code properly. According to Turner Hunt, the stepper controller has an 8ms delay and this is what causes it. 

I dont see that being the issue as one of his four axis, winding in 3 axis mode videos, has pretty much the same G-code with extra commands and winds without any gaps.

Unfortunately all we can do is just wait until he fixes this issue. Try winding slow, if it is that 8ms delay, maybe that will give you getter results, but lets face it, that will take forever lol.

• I agree with you Alexander, it must be an error in the g-code execution. I have the same issue with my 4x-34 (in 3-axis mode) and 4.17 version (my dh linear control board is not recognized by the 4.20 software... but that's an another problem). The g-code is fine but there is gaps and even filament crossing between passes... I hope that will be solved soon!

• William, I am shocked to even hear that the 4X-34 in 3 axis mode is even producing these gaps and cross pass of the filament. 

Tomorrow I am going to record the executor executing the g-code’s helical passes and see if the placement of the filament is on the correct areas. 

One thing I have noticed is that majority of the L601 passes are on the correct areas for adjacent placement. The L602 however, is where those gaps and cross passing occur.

• Turners response to remedy the issue...

”We've run your g-code file on a 3.2" mandrel at 40 RPM and 20 RPM, and we added a full revolution at the far end on only the first pass (see settings).

At 40 RPM we see the same gaping as you describe. At 20 RPM we do not. Basically run the machine slower. “
      Will try that tonight or tomorrow.
      He did go on to explain the whole 8ms delay and that they are going to work on the software.
    • I made a tube the other day with a winding angle of 20 degrees on fast speeds of 27.3 mandrel RPM and 6”/min carriage speed.

On the second layer, which is a helical layer, there were gaps. On the fourth layer which is also a helical layer, the pattern was perfect, there was no gaps. However, when it got to the sixth layer, another helical pass, I ended up with two gaps from the L602 passes.

I will wind even slower next time and I will post the results

• Did a trial wind with his suggestions... now the fwd pass gaps and the return pass is fine. I suppose i can check my speeds and try different things. 

701319430?profile=RESIZE_930x

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/701305262?profile=original
    • Were those gaps already there or did the filament move somehow? I will make another tube this coming weekend with the speeds tested to see if I get better results. 

Hopefully this gets fixed soon, because I would like to wind with faster speeds with no issues.

This reply was deleted.