Community

Filament Skipping

Hi everyone this is my first time posting here. I am noticing an issue with the start of the second pass of a helical wind. On the second pass it tends to space out a good distance from the first pass going from right to left. On the return from left to right everything starts falling into place from there on.

Is there a reason why it does this and is there a way to fix it?

Your help is most appreciated.

You need to be a member of X-Winder to add comments!

Join X-Winder

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am coming back in this discussion to ask if somoene would agree to share the design parameters and corresponding g-code of a 3-axis no wrap part with angles (helical winding) and no gaps between tapes, like in this video for exemple : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAy-nWMypvk&t=616s

If you are using 4x-23 and version 4.17 it would be better for me as I work with those but if not I would still take it.

I would like to try it on my machine, see if it works and if so, work with this specific design to at least be able to build a part in a helical way and try different materials.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    • Maxime Fournier,

Can you please tell me what type of computer you have been using to run the X-winder. Please note desktops and laptops are different and also what type of RAM and processor type does it have.

It is a possibility that the X-Winder program needs to meet certain system requirements in order to operate properly.

I would gladly share with you files, but I only have the two axis version.

• Hi Alexander,

I am using this laptop : Hp probook 640 g1, x64, RAM 16Go, Processor I7 - 4610M - 3GHz - 2 cores with Windows 10 Pro.

Have you tried diferent computers and found one that seems to have a better compatibility with X-winder program ?

• Maxime Fournier,

You have a powerful laptop and yet you have filament displacement still? I have tried on a lenovo desktop that is a weaker than my surface pro 3. The results were bad. After a few email exchanges with Turner Hunt, he revealed to me that he runs his X-winder on Windows 7.

This leads me to believe that this is a compatability issue with windows 10. However I have yet to try it so I can not confirm this. I will be trying it out this Friday so I will find out. My old computer is weaker than his on RAM, but if it works then we know for certain that it is a compatability issue.

• Is anyone still experiencing filament displacement in the L602 returns?

• Hi Alexander, hi everyone,

I am joining the discussion because I am experiencing the same kind of problem. I am working with a 4x-23 in 3-axis mode and version 4.17 of the software. I notice a variable gap for each pass (a bit more marked in L602 returns) even with very low mandrel rotation speed (tested from 5 to 20 rpm). The same gaps scheme appears regardless of the mandrel rotation speed or the DH path. However, it widely depends on the winding angle.

The best result I got is for a 75° winding angle and there are still large gaps... (see picture). For any other winding angle values far enough from 75°, gaps are terrifically large. I do not see any error in the G-code and I do not understand why the first two passes from right to left are well deposed but not the other.

2704964358?profile=RESIZE_930x

• Hi Maxime Fournier,

I am glad to see I am not the only one with these issues. I just recently I emailed the X-Winder crew about this as I am fed up with it. It has been a year since I made this post and I have yet to see any updates to the software.

I too still use version 4.17 as version 4.20 had an issue where it would slam into the limit switch often. It wasnt a hard slam, but it would ignore the Z offset and set itself in a position that would slam against the limit switch.

The software is indeed broken and I want to have perfectly wound tubes. It defeats the purpose of having this awesome machine if it can not wind properly.

• I wound another tube today with the suggested 20RPM mandrel speed and although I got a better finish, there are still some minor gaps visible. It appears it still needs to wind even slower just to get a no gap finish. 

Hopefully Turner Hunt will fix this soon.

• I forgot to post a picture of the tube

701172075?profile=RESIZE_930x

• I am having the same issue. Were you able to resolve it? I am using the latest software., V4.20319173250?profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.